I simply have too many fun wedding tutorials at the moment to fit into my regular fortnightly column on Polka Dot Bride so we’re going to have a few extras right here.
Here’s another one from my own wedding.
You will need:
- Ribbon, various widths and shades
- Sticky tape
- Washi tape
- Tape measure
1. Cut your dowels into equal lengths using a hacksaw. Smooth the rough ends with sandpaper.
2. Cut ribbons into slightly uneven lengths.
3. Continue with remaining ribbon.
4. Take a small bundle of ribbon and secure ends with sticky tape.
5. Attach taped ribbons to wand using washi tape.
6. Wrap tape around and smooth down.
And here are the wands in action after our ceremony!
To be honest, these didn’t work out quite as I’d hoped. I realised during the project that the sticks and ribbons were far too short to really have the kind of visual impact I wanted, but I’d already spent enough on decorations and couldn’t justify the extra cost. This also meant I used cheapo craft store brand ribbon which I found out is stiff and horrible, so I recommend you get the good stuff for superior flutter factor.
If you don’t make the same mistakes I did, you will have some fun send-offs for your ceremony (or reception) that will give you some great photo ops.
Tutorial photos by me | Wedding photos by Luke Simon Photography